This past weekend, Japan played host to the World Cosplay Summit, as it does every year. Hundreds of thousands of cosplayers and cosplay fans from around the globe gathered to be immersed in the culture, display, and art of cosplay. Many would consider entrance into the World Cosplay Summit to be the pinnacle of competitive cosplay.
52 participants were present, representing 26 regions from around the world, along with observers from both Canada and Sweden. Teams from the Philippines, Vietnam, Kuwait and Portugal participated for the first time this year.
Here is a summary of this year’s winners:
1st Place: Team Mexico, Twin Cosplay
2nd Place: Team Italy, Manuel Capitani/Luca Buzzi
3rd Place: Team USA, Alpacosplay/Yummy Gamorah Cosplay
- Best Wig (Cyperous Award): Team Spain, Zihark Cosplay/Virchan Puu Cosplay
- Best Sound Effects (JOYSOUND Award): Team Japan, Mariko/AsMahioCosplay
- Best Costume (Brother Award): Team USA, Alpacosplay/Yummy Gamorah Cosplay
- Best Performance (LIVEDAM Award): Team China, Qing Qian/Xin Yi
- Most Thrilling and Exciting Cosplayers (HIS Award): Team Hong Kong, Cosplay Team FruitPitch
- Best “Respect Score” (Mobi Book Indie Award): Team Hong Kong, Cosplay Team FruitPitch
- Nico Audience Vote (niconico Award): Team Mexico, Twin Cosplay
All of this year’s teams earned well-deserved praise for their craftsmanship and performance. A huge congratulations to all of this year’s award winners.
J. Tanooki is a Contributor for aybonline.com. She has been a lover of cosplay for over 10 years and regularly works on new and exciting cosplay projects. She actively posts about her cosplay plans, progress, and random shenanigans on her Facebook page, Twitter, and Instagram. Her opinion is her own.