It’s time to gear up and load out with the newest addition to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the all-new R8 Revolver. CS:GO has not added a new weapon to the roster since 2014, but from the looks of it, it may have been better that way. The new gun that released to almost no fanfare already has the CS:GO community up in arms about it being seriously over-powered.
The R8 can be purchased as a replacement for the Desert Eagle in-game for $850. That price may seem a little steep compared to the trusty Deagle’s $700 price tag, but that extra $150 appears to be a good investment when you can decimate the opposing force within seconds of fanning the hammer as seen below:
Within the first day of release, this single weapon has rallied the community to call for everything from nerfing to complete ban and removal from any and all CS:GO games. eSports league ESL has announced that the finals for ProLeague Season 2 in Burbank, California will be the previous version of CS:GO without the R8 to avoid issue at the competitive level.
Along with the R8, Valve has also added the usual list of updates, tweaks, and patches which you can scope out below:
- Slight adjustments to Holiday Cheer.
- Gifts are now available for purchase. Gift leaderboards will be displayed until January 15th.
- Added the Revolver Case.
- Added several new community sticker capsules, currently available as offers.
- Added Service Medals for 2016. Players achieving Global General rank after December 31st will receive the new year’s medal.
- Added new Killer Replay to Casual and Demolition modes. GOTV must be active on the server to enable the feature.
- Menu option Help/Options->Game Settings->Automatic Killer Replay will turn replay off.
- Several convars are available to customize the Killer Replay. Search for ‘replay’ in the console for a complete list.
- In Competitive Matchmaking times are now 1:55 and 0:40 for round and C4, respectively. These are also the new times for CSGO Major Championships.
- Adjusted recovery time on the AK47, M4A4, and M4A1-S assault rifles to reduce the range at which spraying is preferable to tapping/bursting.
- Increased move inaccuracy on pistols: Elites, Fiveseven, Glock, P2000, P250, Tec9, USP, CZ75a.
- Added team timeouts to Competitive Matchmaking, which can be called with a vote. Default is 60 seconds, set by mp_team_timeout_time.
- Game servers and GOTV relays not logged in to a persistent game server account with a Game Server Login Token (GSLT) will only allow clients to connect from the same LAN.
- Community servers can now be only connected by their real public IP or their internal RFC1918 address.
- To create a GSLT, visit the GSLT creation utility here: http://steamcommunity.com/dev/managegameservers
- Each GSLT is restricted for use on one dedicated server instance only, and should be passed on command line with +sv_setsteamaccount THISGSLTHERE -net_port_try 1
- Added an option to report servers for misrepresenting players’ inventory and/or rank.
- Game servers will now display their SteamID to an operator’s status request in the server console.
- Game servers with GOTV enabled and GOTV relays that need to support external clients connecting on GOTV port must set tv_advertise_watchable 1
- Fixed some surfaces playing the wrong footstep sounds in Mirage, Overpass and Train.
- Fixed a DM spawnpoint in de_dust where the player would get stuck.
So love it or hate it, the new revolver will be here for at least a little while. But look on the bright side… Chicken Sweaters!
Dandr0id is a content writer for aybonline.com and producer for Level 1 Scrubs podcast. His opinions are his own.
Editor’s note: BAWK BAWK.