“IT’S COLLABORATIN’ TIME!” – The Thing running a team-building workshop.
A crowdfunding campaign is in the works for a book of influential and iconic gaming lines.
Piotr Bajda is crowdsourcing both the funds and the content for Gaming Wisdom, which he says will contain quotes from games and about games. The book will also provide context for the quotes and will contain “lots of trivia.”
The project is up on Inkshares, a crowdfunding platform/book publisher hybrid. Bajda says he’s looking to fill a void by creating an anthology of gaming lines, giving it the same treatment shown to iconic movie phrases and song lyrics.
Anyone who pre-orders a copy of the book is welcome to contribute, according to the page. eBook versions are $10, signed paperbacks are $20, and the Super Reader package is $60. Not all submitted quotes will make it into the publication. Backers are asked to send an explanation of why their submission belongs, and Bajda says the “most convincing, most passionate, most captivating” entries will be featured.
Creating a definitive book of industry-shaping game quotes and commentaries sounds like a task full of hair-pulling and second-guessing. We nerds are very particular. But it also sounds like a fun collaboration full of warm, nostalgic feelings.
Now, there’s a difference between the best quotes, the most influential or well-written, and a person’s favourite quotes. Bajda doesn’t seem to be limiting the book to one or the other, but you do need to explain the line’s significance. That being said, I will now list some of my favourites, without any exposition:
- “What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!” – Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- “Go away! I’m trying to remember what I have to do. Oh yeah! I have to go take a dump.” – Silly Old Man, Final Fantasy 9
- “Stay awhile and listen.” – Deckard Cain, Diablo
- “This was a triumph.” – GlaDOS, Portal
- “Snake? Snake!” – Colonel Campbell, Metal Gear Solid
- “No problem.” – Rocket League
- “Bury my shell at Wounded Knee” – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
- “Shut the face hole. I’m preparing to say things.” – Lucious Aldin, Hellgate: London (this has been added by the editor as her favourite gaming quote!)
Mark McAvoy is a contributor at AYBOnline. His opinions are fleeting. And his own. (And one opinion that is the editor’s!)