Take on the harsh climate and hidden traitors as Project Winter ramps up for its open beta this weekend before launching in Early Access on February 7th
January 31, 2019 – You thought the frigid grip of the bitter cold could be your end – or maybe you’d be ripped apart by the fierce wildlife. Never did you think a trusted ally would plunge a pickaxe into your back…that you didn’t see coming.
Fans of social deception and survival will be captivated with Other Ocean’s Project Winterduring the free open beta period, Feb 1-3, 2019. Immerse yourself in this 8-person multiplayer, where players are randomly assigned the role of Traitor or Survivor. Work cohesively to complete survival tasks by gathering resources, repairing structures, and braving the elements (beware the odd grizzly bear attack). Communication and teamwork are essential to Survivors’ ultimate goal of escape. You’ll discover secret traitors within the group who steadily gain strength as the match progresses. Armed with walkie-talkies and able to communicate at a distance, the traitors’ only goal is to stop the survivors from escaping – by any means necessary. Survivors and Traitors alike can sign up for free on Project Winter’s website.
Project Winter will release, with controller support, for Windows PC into early access on the Steam Store, Humble Bundle, and Greenman Gaming for USD 19.99. The game was developed in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador with valued support from the Canada Media Fund.
- Escape to Survive – As a survivor amongst a group of strangers, you will have to collect resources, battle the elements and complete a series of tasks to call in one of several rescue vehicles.
- Hidden Roles – Amongst the group of survivors lurk hidden traitors who are selected at random. The traitors are known to each other but not the survivors. Their goal is to stop the survivors from escaping without being identified and killed.
- Teamwork – Survivors cannot escape unless they work together. Players who wander off on their own will have difficulty surviving the elements, can fall victim to hostile wildlife, or become easy targets for the traitors.
- Communication – There are several ways to communicate with other players, including proximity-based voice chat, private voice chat radio channels, text chat, and emotes. Communication is vital if the survivors have any hope of completing their tasks and defending against the traitors.
- Betrayal & Deception – The traitors are outnumbered and weak when the game begins. They may infiltrate the survivors and earn their trust while they build up their strength. Survivors can never be 100% sure of who to trust. The traitors can take advantage of this by spreading lies and setting the survivors against each other.