Son of a Witch, the adorable action roguelike that won over hearts with official selections at IndieCade Europe 2016, IndiePrize 2017, and Game Access ’17, is about to exit Steam’s Early Access program with a full launch on Steam on May 16, 2018. Developer Bigosaur has been working steadily on Son of a Witch for over three years, working with the game’s community to get it ready for launch. A new release trailer highlights the magical hack and slash hijinks players will be able to enjoy in solo, co-op, and four-player sessions.
Son of a Witch recalls the compulsive replay-ability of your favorite roguelikes but wraps it all in a charming package, making it a lot more welcoming to a wide range of gamers than your standard fare. But don’t let the cutesy graphics fool you: Son of a Witch offers deep mechanics that reward constant experimentation and learning. Son of a Witch boasts over 120 unique weapons and items to discover. Players will only find a small section of these in each run, meaning the game is completely different every single time you play. There are also 7 playable characters with wildly different skill sets and abilities, over 20 bosses to beat, and 30 pet animals to find.
Even though the game is exiting Early Access, Bigosaur has promised that development and improvement will continue on the game well past its launch date. Milan Babuškov, creator of the game, said “The release is just a first step, we’re making the game feature complete. But I have much more content planned, more items, weapons, pets, mounts, NPC quests, heroes and bosses for future updates. We’re excited to see what people think of the game and look forward to using that community feedback as motivation to continue improving the game over the months to come.”
About Son of a Witch
- Explore non-linear procedurally generated dungeons
- Fight your way through random encounters with monsters and a selection of 24 bosses
- Find shops, treasure rooms and challenge rooms
- Complete NPC quests to unlock playable characters
- Get help from one of 26 cute pet companions
- Drink random potions to power up or increase the challenge
- Identify and use powerful magic scrolls
- Every weapon has some unique ability or attack type
- Every item you find has its use or special mechanics
- Single player and up to 4 player co-op local or online
- Three diferent play styles: melee beat’em up, magic shooter and archers sniping enemies from the distance
- Permadeath. A new world is created every time you start the game, so it’s always fresh and interesting to explore