Craft, Explore, and Influence a Cosmos of Creation
September 11, 2018 – With a vision of giving players across the globe a universe they can shape and mould together, whatever platform they’re playing on, Square Enix Collective® is proud to announce that epic sandbox MMO Boundless from UK studio Wonderstruck launches today for PC and PlayStation 4®.
Boundless lays open a single universe of connected worlds in which every aspect – the politics, the economy, the crafting and the communities – is entirely created and run by the players. This playground at their feet allows everyone to explore, build, craft, trade and collaborate within one single ecosystem, whether on console or PC.
Having been in Early Access for four years fostering a dedicated community of loyal players, Boundless will now open-up a fresh sandbox to the world at large, firing the starting gun on a new, far busier and more vibrant universe.
“This launch is akin to the Big Bang in our eyes,” says James Austin, Director of Wonderstruck. “In essence, we’re firing out the atoms to form a new universe that players will live, explore and create within, defining how it grows and changes with no input on our part. Players on PC and PS4 will be able to step from one world to the next – from one planet bustling with a packed, burgeoning metropolis to another, with a desolate, undeveloped landscape ripe for evolution.”
Indeed, as James hints, one of the big draws of Boundless is the ability to open portals to travel seamlessly between diverse planets as you expand your adventure across the universe; or watch the sun rise on a volcanic world before joining friends to prospect for precious resources on a desert planet.
Starting with your first humble campfire, will you live a nomadic life in the wild, or found a new settlement with your allies from which to grow your empire? You can rally citizens to expand your city, competing to become the capital of your world and claiming the title of Viceroy.
Will you build a citadel, drive the economy, or craft masterpieces of technology? Join the hunt for exotic creatures, develop your homestead, or seek new horizons? Everything in the game is created by players – so if you want something, you’ll either need to craft it yourself, or trade with others.
Square Enix Collective has signed on to distribute the PC version of Boundless, with developer Wonderstruck in tandem handling the game’s release on PS4.
“For me, the appeal of Boundless has always been the opportunity it provides for gamers to create a constantly evolving universe, allowing every player, whatever platform and whatever region, to play together,” says Phil Elliott, Director of Indie Publishing at Square Enix West. “It’s what makes Boundless a unique prospect, because whichever path you choose and whichever role you play, it takes place in a single, unsharded universe in full view of every single player. Actions have real meaning.”
Boundless can be broken down into six main areas at launch – exploration, building, crafting, hunting, trading, and settlement-building – with players able to choose their place in a massive, open-universe sandbox. With the expanse of worlds around them constantly shifting and changing, players are encouraged to shape their role and play their part in a universe where anything is possible.
Playing Boundless you can:
- Colonise planets by yourself or join a settlement with others and grow your Beacon into the capital of the world with the Prestige system
- Craft hundreds of items including building blocks, tools, weapons, food and much more
- Spend your hard-earned skill points in the Skill Tree and tailor your character to how you want to play the game
- Complete objectives, feats and events to earn rewards and Experience Points to level up your character
- Build and maintain a Portal between worlds for you and others to use
- Trade items with others or set up a shop to sell and buy items while you’re off adventuring
- Seamlessly travel to new worlds and discover different creatures, resources, block colours and user generated creations in an ever-changing universe – each world automatically regenerates areas that are not protected by a Beacon and returns it to its original layout, creating new and much needed resources for you to collect
Boundless is out today for PC (store.steampowered.com/app/324510/Boundless) and PlayStation 4 priced GBP 32.99/ EUR 39.99/ USD 39.99.
A deluxe edition is available at GBP 49.99 / EUR 59.99 / USD 59.99
For all the latest information and assets for Boundless, please visit:
- Website: playboundless.com
- Twitter®: twitter.com/PlayBoundless
- Facebook®: facebook.com/playboundless