Get your starfleet on in Starsector, currently in development from FractalSoftworks (a studio of one industrious developer with a deep passion for sci-fi).
A new update to Starsector from FractalSoftworks has been pushed out, improving on the game’s already stellar mechanics, skills, and campaign narrative. Modern art and effects co-mingle with old school aesthetics to create a one-two punch of universal proportions!
What, do you ask, is Starsector? Take a slice of Star Control, mix it with a pinch of Master of Orion 2, add a dash of MechWarrior and stir it all up in Fractal Softworks’ special development pot, and you get a high-flying, laser-blasting, tactical-jaunt through the galaxy! Starsector is a game of space fleet combat, management, and role-playing as you command a fleet of starships in tactical combat. Explore, trade, engage in epic space battles, and level up your ship in this open-ended sandbox game set in a lost sector of the galaxy. Find adventure, glory (or infamy), and profit (or ruin) among the far-flung frontier. While no date has been announced for launch, access to the game is available by pre-ordering Starsector, which will players access to all builds going forward until release.
Check out the full update log for Starsector on the development blog and pre-order Starsector on Windows, Mac and Linux for $15.00 USD for early access to all features before launch at the discounted price.
What’s New in Starsector
Get your starfleet on in Starsector, currently in development from FractalSoftworks (a studio of one industrious developer with a deep passion for sci-fi). There was recently a big update, which introduced a ton of new content (listed below).
Here are some of the new things you can do in this release:
- Establish colonies! Build up industrial production to make a profit, improve your colonies, and protect them from many dangers
- Visit a port-side bar to find missions and other opportunities
- Fight alongside – or against – massive orbital stations
- Create your own faction and set up its military doctrine
- Find blueprints and use them to let your colonies produce ships, weapons, and fighters
- Face enemy ships with dynamically generated weapon load-outs
- Discover new dangers and derelicts on the fringes of the Sector
- Explore planetary ruins
- Raid core worlds for plunder or to disrupt your competition
Starsector is a game of space fleet combat, management, trading, and role-playing. You pilot a ship and command a fleet in tactical combat while exploring, trading, battling and leveling up through an open-ended sandbox campaign world set in a lost sector of the galaxy. Find adventure, glory & infamy, profit & ruin among the far-flung frontier of the Perseus Arm. Explore distant star systems. Run salvage operations on the dangerous fringe of the Sector, or become a bounty hunter and get involved in factional conflicts. Beware of ruthless pirates while evading patrols and tariffs. Assemble your fleet, upgrade and modify your ships, and fight your enemies!
- Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
- Classic top-down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
- A procedurally generated sector of the galaxy, seeded with well-known core worlds and factions
- Develop your character into a hot-shot pilot, a smuggler, a stern admiral, an industrial magnate – or anything in between
- Outfit ships with your weapons of choice and add hull modifications to create devastating tactical combinations
- Explore hundreds of locations to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and lost technology
- Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
- Claim new worlds, build outposts and industry, and defend your interests – or take down the competition